Child is restless, does comfort feeding. Can we use a pacifier?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My daughter is 13 days old and is restless and does a lot of comfort feeding.We are scared that in the process she would be over fed...
So my question is can we use a pacifier? may only when she is too restless?
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 8 hours later
Breastfed babies can be nursed when fussy to provide them with comfort. Nursing releases hormones in the mother and baby that help both to calm down, providing a quiet time to bond. Breastfed babies can be nursed even if they are not hungry, without fear of overfeeding. It is not possible to overfeed a nursing baby, and babies nursing for comfort will naturally receive less milk than babies nursing due to hunger, as they suckle lighter and tend to drift off to sleep.
Pacifiers have to be used in case of bottlefed babies and have to be maintained with hygienic precautions.
So the answer to your query would be , yes you can use pacifier however it's best to allow natural breastfeeding and comfort feeding.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.