Child is passing stool just after breast feeding. What treatment should be done?

Pediatrician
Question
my baby when it takes mother milk it passes stools immediately in white like curd base and then in green colour...can i still breast feed it,,,, its 3 months old. Zero lac is been presctibed and if ir consumes it it does passes any stool immediately
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 10 minutes later

I suggest you to give EXCLUSIVE breast feeding till 6 months of age.

Do not worry about frequency and color of stools.
It is normal for breast fed babies to pass several motions immediately after feeds and this is due to increased gastocolic reflex and settles of its own.
Color change from curd like to green is also normal.

I suggest you to avoid taking gas forming food items in your food, avoid spicy and fried food.

Monitor your baby for any features of dehydration like decreased urine output/lethargy/refusal of feeds and in case you observe any get him evaluated by pediatrician.

Wishing your baby good health.

God bless!!

Follow-up: Child is passing stool just after breast feeding. What treatment should be done? 3 days later
the baby is not taking breast feed. the milk is enough.. the stools has cough inside it ( i feel so as it is very slippery) and also the tounge deep inside gets struck. What is to be done.

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later
Thanks for your follow up.

Baby must be having oral thrush because of which he is having difficulty in feeding.

Apply oral nystatin 2to3 times a day before feeding.

Observe your baby and if symptoms persist after 24hours get him evaluated by pediatrician, as physical examination is needed for further management.

Take care...

Follow-up: Child is passing stool just after breast feeding. What treatment should be done? 22 hours later
When the baby has mothers milk it passes stools? will the baby not be hungry?any susbtitute is required to be given?

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 16 minutes later
Hi.

No substitute to be given.

Baby is to be given ONLY BREAST FEEDING till 6 months of age.

If baby is active, gaining adequate weight, taking feeds normally there is nothing to worry.

As already mentioned passing stools after feeding is normal and settles of its own in few days.

Hope this helps.

God bless....

Follow-up: Child is passing stool just after breast feeding. What treatment should be done? 9 days later
The baby is not having breast milk properly. it sucks milk once in 4 hours. I am worried about its weight. At times i pump the milk by hand and feed through spoon. May i know why is the kid doing this? also at times when the baby passes the stool it has lather in it like when the surf generates. Is the baby really not well. I feel difficult to pump the milk. PLease let me know.

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 8 minutes later
Thanks again.

If baby is refusing feeds/has decreased urine output/is lethargic then physical examination is required.It needs to be seen whether oral thrush has subsided or not.
I suggest you to get him examined by pediatrician.

You can give probiotic like lactobacillus for 2 to 3 days after consulting your doctor.

Take care...

Follow-up: Child is passing stool just after breast feeding. What treatment should be done? 24 hours later
whenver i go to doctor he says tht the baby is fine. this nature of baby being lethargic, refusing feed is dangerous? is it due to cough?

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 23 minutes later
Hi.

I understand your concern.

If baby is lethargic and is refusing feeds this is not normal.

He needs to be examined in detail to ascertain the cause and any underlying infection.

As mentioned by you baby is having cough which points towards respiratory infection.

I suggest to get him examined by another pediatrician and if after detailed examination he finds baby to be normal there is nothing to worry.

Take care!!

Follow-up: Child is passing stool just after breast feeding. What treatment should be done? 5 hours later
Incase if normal report, and still the baby has less feed. is it not bad for the baby as weight may not gain much ?Is the lethargicness due to scorchy summer? can i give some water thru spoon to the baby?

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 17 minutes later
Thanks again.

In case physical examination is normal, there is nothing to worry.

Baby doubles his/her weight by 5 months of age.

Be in regular follow up with your pediatrician regarding his growth and development. If there is any delay in growth, your doctor will guide you accordingly.

Baby needs to be given only breast feeding till 6 months. No extra water is required even in hot climate as mothers milk provide adequate water, which is required by the baby.

Hope this helps.

God bless...