Child is passing green stool and crying frequently. Advised ofloxacin, metronidazole. Are these safe?

General Surgeon
Question
My baby is 3-1/2 month old, having green colour motion and frequently crying. Our doctor advised ofloxacin metronidazole suspension and enterogermina dose. Need other opinion for same medicines.
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 37 minutes later
Your baby is having gastrointestinal infection.
So,antibiotic ofloxacin and Metronidazole suspension and Probiotic enterogermina were prescribed
They are good drugs.
They can be used safely in children.
Nothing to worry.
Be cautious about the diet and water you are giving to your baby.
Wish your baby good health

Follow-up: Child is passing green stool and crying frequently. Advised ofloxacin, metronidazole. Are these safe? 12 hours later
Thank you so much Doctor,

I wanted to ask one more question that doctor suggests till 6 months Exclusively Breastfeeding, but now my kid is not satisfied, he feels hungry all the time... Can i give Nan Pro-1. and how many servings per day I can give?... and Can i give plain water as well? because it is very hot outside arnd 30 degree and he sweats a lot.....

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 5 hours later
Hi
As per standard textbooks of paediatrics,breastfeeding should be the only thing to be given till 6 months.
Nan pro 1 contains all the nutrients including vitamins and minerals, which has been advocated for infants below 6 months also.
But,the preparation instructions have to be strictly followed.
You can give 5 servings per day.
It is better to give boiled and cooled plain water.
Nothing to worry

Follow-up: Child is passing green stool and crying frequently. Advised ofloxacin, metronidazole. Are these safe? 4 hours later
Thank you so much,
Is my kid having stomach problem, gases because of my diet,... I've started eating all kind of vegetables and fruits such as potato, sprouts and mango. Elderly people at my house are saying that it is because of my diet, eat only light food.
Please suggest me proper food diet.

Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 13 hours later
Hi
As your kid is 3 1/2 months old,she can't be fed with vegetables and fruits as the gut will not be matured fully.
Please give her breast milk striclty for 6 months.
You can give Nan Pro with proper preparation instructions.
Give her frequent small feeds.
Wish her good health