Child is not taking breast milk. Tried cow's milk but causing digestion problem. Suggestion?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
My baby boy has completed 2 months but he is not taking breast milk. We have tried every possible way but no result. Kindly suggest alternate. We are giving toned cow milk but I think due to which some stomach problem is also happening with digestion problem. Now we are thinking to feed lactogen but some says that as lactogent is sweet in taste in future it will increase the chances of diabetes. Plz suggest best alternative.
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

There are some reasons in a healthy kid for not taking breast feeds.

1.Nipple confusion - In babies fed with bottles this problem develops because for baby it is easy to drink milk from bottle because of less effort.

Whereas taking breastfeeds requires much effort. So once they are given bottle feeding, it is very difficult to shift from bottle to breast because of child disinterest.

2.If the mother have small or large nipples, child feels difficulty in taking feeds.

3.As top feeds are sweet, child prefers to drink top feeds.

It is difficult to digest cow's milk for infants and they may develop indigestion, colic milk allergy, and diarrhea.

If cow milk is given below one year of age, they are prone for allergy and infections later.

The best and gold standard is to give exclusive breast feeds till the age of 6 months.

So try to give exclusive breast feeds till the age of 6 months if mother is having breast milk.

If breast feeding is not possible, you can give formula milk such as lactogen.
But give formula milk with a spoon and cup.

Take strict hygienic precautions while preparing, handling, and during feeding formula to the child.

By giving formula feeds, there is no increased risk of diabetes.

But lack of breast feeding may increase the risk of diabetes later.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child is not taking breast milk. Tried cow's milk but causing digestion problem. Suggestion? 14 hours later
what is your view on goat milk? Can we feed goat milk?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 14 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

Mother milk is species specific like human milk is for babies and goat milk is for lambs.

I don't advise goat milk for your baby.

Animal milk in infants below 1 year, is always associated with the problems like indigestion, colic, diarrhea, constipation, and allergy due to it's contents and feeding techniques.

Avoid bottle feeding.

Instead you can feed the child with spoon or a katori (palady).

If mother nipples are normal with breast milk, I advise you to shift the child to exclusive breast feeding till the age of 6 months.

If the mother is having problem with her nipples like retracted or larger nipples, the doctor will advise her syringe technique or nipple shields which will help to feed the child with breast feeds.

But if the mother is having insufficient milk production, I advise you to give formula feeds such as lactogen stage 1 with proper reconstitution and feeding with palady or spoon.

Regards.