Child is not passing bowel movement, started vomiting. What treatment should be done?

Feb 2013

hi i have a five year old who has been vomiting for last 10 hours with last time producing bile that was luminous yellow , he also has autism so cannot really ask if he is hurting or how he feels , he seems quite ok between being sick but have had three sleeps today which is unheard of even when sick , he has never been sick like this ever before this colour , he is still in nappies due to autism ans hasnt had a bowel movement for 48 hours but that not unusual he is wetting fine and taking liquid .
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 24 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Vomitings like this may be due to gastritis mostly because of some contamination or a virus.

Vomitings should be controlled by giving an anti emetic drug like ondansetron.

I advise you to give ondansetron syrup in prescribed dosage and after half an hour you can try giving some oral liquids. It can be given every 8th hourly depending on the presence of vomitings and nausea.

And the mainstay of treatment in persistent vomitings is to maintain his hydration.

Maintain his hydration by giving sips of oral rehydration solutions (ORS) like Pedialyte, coconut water, and lemonade. Try to balance the losses of water and electrolytes in the vomitings by giving ORS.

Monitor his hydration status by his activity, urine output, skin turgor, and moisture of tongue and oral cavity.

If the vomitings are persisting, or any signs of dehydration develops consult the Pediatrician as early as possible for the physical examination, assessment for his hydration, and for specific treatment.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.