Child is not gaining weight. Suggest dietary supplements to balance nutrition needs.

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Am writing for my daughter.
currently she is 2.5 years of age, with the weight of 9.5 kg, she is healthy and no medical records as of now.., My worry is she is not adding her weight and the same weight remains for the past 10 months.

she use to have all the items that we prepare in home in very small quantity but not regular.

And i believe during these growing period she needs some dietry suppliments to balanace the nutritions needs, so can you please sugest on these..
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 6 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

"A weight of 9.5 kg for a 2.5 yr old is less than average and since it is not improving since last ten months then it warrants a detailed examination and nutritional assessment of your daughter".

First of all I would like to tell you that weight and height of a child depends not only on the food intake but also on many other factors like birth weight and birth history (prematurity), genetic and familial history, history of recurrent illnesses or other diseases, infections, sleep and physical activity etc.

Now every child is unique and its best to visit a pediatrician to diagnose the condition accurately. The weight and height of the child needs to be plotted on a growth chart recommended by world health organisation. This will show a graph of how the pattern of growth is and whether it’s below the malnourished line and needs intervention. Also specific deficiencies like iron or calcium deficiencies or infections / worm infestations can be ruled out.

If she has a irregular and inadequate diet, that too needs nutritional counseling more than nutritional supplements which are just a temporary method to tide over a nutritional crisis. Remember that any tonics or health drinks cannot replace the benefits of a balanced diet. Even if you still wish to give your child supplements, it is advisable if your pediatrician prescribes it after assessing your daughter so that he can prescribe the one best suitable for her as some supplements contain iron; some calcium and some multivitamins.

It is also advisable that you discuss with your doctor if deworming is required as worms are a very common cause of malnutrition in children.

If you wish to put in some extra efforts to give her a balanced diet, you can find some useful tips and information on the site www.wholesome WWW.WWWW.WW

Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.