Child is nauseous and vomiting. Not cured by clear liquids and pedialite. Proper treatment?

My wife and I are struggling with an extreme situation regarding our 5 month old son. He has been in so much pain the past month we can barely get any food in him. We've done all the recommended aids including 4 doses of Tylenol a day just to do that and a week ago he got a stomach bug. He was vomiting the first day we noticed it and took him to the ER where the doc said give him clear liquids and Pedialite. Now a week later, he is not vomiting, but it still so nauseous he won't each but a 1/3 of what he was eating.
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later

I understand your concern.

-Is your baby gaining adequate weight?
-Is he breast-fed or formula fed?
-How is his activity?

As you mentioned last week he had vomiting.
-This could be a part of gastritis, which could be is viral in nature and takes few days to settle.
-By 5 months of age child start putting his hand and other things in mouth which also is a cause of vomiting
-It could also be a part of gastro esophageal reflux.

If symptoms persist
-Change formula.
-Keep his head end elevated to 45 degrees while sleeping.
-Give small amount of feed more frequently.
-He can be put on medication like ranitidine as per dosage (2mg/kg/dose) two to three times a day after consulting your pediatrician.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any questions I would be glad to help.

Wishing your baby good health.
God bless.
Follow-up: Child is nauseous and vomiting. Not cured by clear liquids and pedialite. Proper treatment? 11 hours later
Dr. Bhagat:

Thank you for the information, here is my reply.

He was gaining weight very well up until the teething started to become extreme 4 weeks ago and we weren't able to get food in him very well. Though we were concerned with that situation, we were still getting formula in him. Now, the nausea made a bad situation worse and we can't get anything in him at all. Just juice and Pedialyte.

As for his history, we were unable to breast feed him (after 1 month) as he had a bad reaction to the breast milk; so worked through a series of formulas and found that the Similac Alimentum would work with him. (The reaction was characterized by really bad, painful intestinal gas and skin rash.)

All was perfectly well up until the teething started. He had no health issues, everything was actually very good. Now, he is struggling with the teething pain and being nauseous; so much so that a once vibrant and vocal baby is so week we're afraid he can't handle this much longer. He won't move much at all, smile or play.

Though he is putting his hands in his mouth, the only time he has only vomited in his life is this week with his condition; never as a result of his own hand. I would consider switching formulas, only that we went through almost all of them just to get on the one we are using now. Not much of an option there, huh?

We are keeping him elevated to prevent either the tooth pain or nausea from getting worse. Since he has been teething, we were feeding smaller amounts more frequently, but that has since stopped. The last two days, he has been living off Pedialyte and micro-portions of oatmeal, pears, apples, and bananas.

We're taking him to see the doctor again after a week later, but feel we're not getting much help. Can you provide some suggestions that we may discuss? I'm convinced he has a stomach bug as my wife and I also were down with the nausea for a few days as well. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your follow up.

I understand your concern for your baby.

As per symptoms mentioned by you,your baby has started refusing feeds at the time of it could be
-Either teething pain or
-Gastro esophageal reflux.

Every baby is different,some really become fussy at time of teething,do not worry.
If it is because of teething it will be just matter of few days.
I suggest you to;
-massage his gums with your finger two to three times a day.
-rub ice cubes over gums one to two times for 20 to 30 sec .
-apply oragel before feeding three to four times a day for 4 to 5 days.
-give him raw coconut or carrot to bite.
-give plain water,coconut water,continue with XXXXXXX or banana puree.

In case symptoms persist,reflux needs to kept in mind for which medication will help.

Let me know if you have any other query.
God bless!!
Follow-up: Child is nauseous and vomiting. Not cured by clear liquids and pedialite. Proper treatment? 3 hours later
That sounds good, thank you for the assistance and encouragement. From best I can tell, he is suffering from both the teething pain and a stomach issue. His doctor looked at him today and prescribed a liquid Zantac for him to help settle his stomach; 1.5ml twice a day.

She said he probably did have some stomach virus and it looks like it has passed. Now, we're dealing with the aftermath of the upset stomach affecting his willingness to eat at all.

The only other thing we noticed, was that he did have several white sores in his month relative to the teething pain. She (the Dr.) didn't voice any concern that he might be suffering from anything like thrush. Is there not a contact medication other than Orajel that will numb the pain for a mouth sore?
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 6 hours later
Thanks again,

Liquid Zantac should settle his stomach issues in a couple of days.

Regarding white patches in mouth, oral thrush needs to be ruled out. I would suggest you to talk and discuss with his doctor about it. If it is indeed oral thrush I suggest you to wipe inside the mouth with your finger covered with gauze and gently scrape white patches.
Apply oral nystatin 3 to times 10 minutes before feeding for 4 to 5 days. And continue plenty of fluids.

Hope I have answered your queries.

Good health to you and your family.

Take care.....