Child is losing weight. What medication should be given?

Pediatrician
Question

My Child has lost her weight approx 1.5 KG since last one month, kindly confirm the exact medicine need to b given to her.

Thanks,
XXXXXX
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 21 hours later
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

Thanks for your query to healthcare magic.

I want to know a few more details:

1. what is the exact weight of your child?

2. Was the weight measured using digital scale? was the same machine used to compare both the weights?

Because many times we take weight using a non-electronic weighing scale which can show a difference of 1 to 2 kgs. Also the the type of clothes we wear, food and water intake before measurement have an influence of at least 500 gms.

3. For how long was your child suffering from fever?

Any fever for more than 2 weeks with weight loss needs to evaluated in detail to rule out infections like Tuberculosis etc. After ruling out serious medical problems by your pediatrician you can try giving high energy XXXXXXX foods. Adding a spoon of ghee always helps. Multivitamin and iron syrup will help.

Dont worry, she is fine, once her fever improves her appetite will improve and she will catch up the weight loss.

I am happy to assist any further queries in this regard.

Take Care,
Dr. Balaji Chinnasami, MD
Assistant Professor- Pediatrics.

Follow-up: Child is losing weight. What medication should be given? 22 minutes later
Hi Dr,

Thanks for your valuable reply : have given the details as required by you

1. what is the exact weight of your child? Weights 13

2. Was the weight measured using digital scale? was the same machine used to compare both the weights? Yes, the same machine is used to check the weight.

3. For how long was your child suffering from fever? Fever is since last 2 days.

Thanks,
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 13 minutes later
Hi dear,

Thanks for giving more information. Her expected weight should be 14 kg. She is one kg less and illness can reduce appetite. Your daughter's fever is only two days, atleast you can be reassured that nothing serious is going on. Once her illness improves, her appetite improves she will gain her weight back. Just keep continuing medications prescribed by your doctor.

If you have any other queries I am happy to help. If not you can close the query and rate it.

Dr. Balaji Chinnasami MD
Assistant professor - Pediatrics