Child is having weakness, dizziness and vomit sensation. Can systolic heart murmur cause constipation?

Question
Granddaughter of 5 years old, been treated for 16 months with Movicol for severe constipation. Taken into hospital after vomiting, dehydration and severe constipation. Systolic heart murmur found, since discharge, vomited more, losing weight, no tests done in hospital for heart before discharge, dizzy, vomiting every few days. Ready to argue with doctors!!! So worried.Can systolic heart murmur cause constipation?? She is weak, dizzy, vomiting every few days or weekly, giving 4 movicol a day and can sometimes go everyday, or sometimes not for a week. Affecting weight, health and school.
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Murmur is produced when there is a abnormal turbulent blood flow in the heart. Various heart problems can cause murmurs like a leaky valve or stenosis of the valve or abnormal passage in the heart.

Some times heart murmurs can occur in children without any abnormality what is called innocent murmur.

Your kid's doctors might have identified it as a innocent murmur and might not have investigated it further.

Can systolic heart murmur cause constipation??

No systolic murmur cannot cause constipation.

Hope I answered your query. Please feel free to ask further queries and I will be more than happy to answer them.

Follow-up: Child is having weakness, dizziness and vomit sensation. Can systolic heart murmur cause constipation? 8 minutes later
Follow up echo was ordered, have not received appointment or cardio appointment, so because further investigation was ordered, I presume not an innocent murmur. Could this make her dizzy? Cause vomiting?

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 16 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.

If your doctor is not sure that it is just a innocent murmur he may order further investigations (to rule out or arrive at a diagnosis). So it is unnecessary to presume it is not an innocent murmur.

A very severe heart disease may cause a person to become dizzy if the blood circulation of the brain is effected. Vomiting may occur in heart failure. (Since the Echo that was ordered now is not the first investigation for the complaints that your kid presented with one can presume that the treating doctors may not be thinking that this murmur is responsible for the problems your kid is facing.)

Hope I answered your query.

Please feel free to ask further questions.