Child is having watery eye and runny nose. No improvement after treatment. What to do?

My 2 year nephew having problem of running nose from last one year. He is looking weak y body structure. From birth he have some problem with nose. Earlier to this he was haviing problem of watering eyes and after that running nose. He was treated here in Raipur with different medication but no change. What to do sir..?
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later

I understand your concern.

As per symptoms mentioned by you,your nephew is having allergic rhinitis.
In some children below 2 years of age there is sensitization to some indoor allergens leading to clear nasal discharge,nasal itching,watery eyes.

Common indoor allergens are;
dust mites/animal dander/indoor moulds/cockroaches/feathers/pollens.etc

I suggest you to get him examined by pediatrician as some tests will be needed like CBC,IgE level.

Environmental control plays an important role.Identify allergen and avoid it.Removal of trigger has a dramatic effect.

Medication which are helpful are antihistamines,corticosteroid sprays.,decongestants
Discuss it with your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query,if you have any other question I would be glad to help.

God bless!!