Child is having throat pain, swallowing difficulty. No relief from gargling. Should I consult ENT doctor?

ENT Specialist
My nephew aged 11 years is with me, and he has throat pain, and has difficulty swallowing food. He had tried gargling with XXXXXXX warm water, but that has not helped much. Should I take him to an ENT or is there any drug that can be tried on your advice?
Please let me know. Thanks
Posted Thu, 9 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 8 hours later
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
On the basis of the information provided it appears that your nephew is suffering from an acute infection of throat or tonsils. It may be because of a bacterial infection or a viral infection.

If your nephew has malaise, fever and pain in throat it is more likely to be because of bacterial infection and if he lack these symptoms it may be a viral infection. However there can be exceptions to this rule.

I would advise you for a ENT consultation to reach a diagnosis so that the right treatment can be started.

I hope this answers your concern.

Feel free to contact me if you require additional information about it

With rwgards
Ravinder Sharma