Child is having throat pain. No relief from ibuprofen. Any effective medicine?

I have a 14 year old daughter is says her lower throat is hurting, as if there is a lump in it. I have given her 400 mg of ibuprofen but its not helping.
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 4 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

From the description of your daughter's symptoms it appears that she could be suffering from a throat infection, probably a tonsillitis. This is the likely cause for the pain and a sensation of a lump in the throat.

I would suggest the following remedial measures:
- Let her have frequent Disprin gargles or salt water gargles.
- Keep giving hot fluids and plenty of water.
- For the pain, it is safe and best to take Paracetamol tablets three times a day, after food.

Most throat infections in children are viral and are self-limiting. However, if her symptoms don't come down within 2 to 3 days with these symptomatic measures or if she develops high fever, cough with yellowish sputum or breathing difficulty, then you have to take her to a doctor for a physical examination and further investigations, and she may require a course of antibiotics.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar