Child is having severe sleep disorder. How to control this?

Hi doctor,

This is for my kid XXXXXX, aged 2 years. She has severe sleep disorder after we stopped breast feed. She goes to sleep early in the mornign by 2-3am, and wakes up by noon. Attempts to get her to sleep has not been fruitful. I am worried for her health, Is there something that can be done to correct this?
Also she is a fuzzy eater, always reluctant to take food. Mostly surviving on Paediasure and horlicks.
Please advice
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 24 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

I can understand your problem.

Do not worry.

The duration of sleep decreases as age increases.

The duration of sleep your baby is getting over night seems to be normal but the timing is erratic.

Try to adjust this by waking her up early in the morning. Do not do this abruptly. Wake her up one hour before noon for 2 days and reduce the duration by half hour every 2 days. Try to see that she wake up at least by 7 am in the morning. Correct this slowly.

Play with her and allow her to play actively running around. Do not let her sit in front of the computer or the television. This helps.

I can comment on her intake if you can give me her weight and exact age in months.

If her weight is normal for age then you should not worry regarding her diet.

Some times children may not accept much for few days. This is normal (if the child is otherwise active and playful) and corrects it self. Some times they may not accept certain food items. Trying to force feed them will result in feeding problems. Once a child refuses a food it should be stopped and again that should be offered after a few weeks. Do not force feed her.
Avoid junk foods like chips and chocolates.

Try and help your kid to self feed. Eat along with her. (Infact the whole family should eat along with the kid). The kid should be encouraged to eat fruits and vegetables. The family should have the same and show to the kid that these are good for health. This example setting is important.

Normally kids are forced to eat infront of a television by the grand mother or mother. Food is forced into the mouth. This is wrong. This results in fuzzy eaters and food problems.

Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics

Follow-up: Child is having severe sleep disorder. How to control this? 1 hour later
Thanks doctor for your prompt response, I would definitely try a slow change to her sleep routine.

She is 27 months and weighs 11 kgs. Is she okay for her age?
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for your reply.

A 25 month old baby should weigh between 9.3kg and 14.9kg. So you should not really worry about her weight weight. Monitor her weight on a WHO (world health organization) growth chart. You can even monitor the weight on a standard growth chard provided by any pediatrician. This will give you a idea how she is progressing.

She falls just below 50th centile for her age which is around 11.7kg. (50th centile means 50 girls of that age weigh above 11.7kg and 50 girls will weight below that.

Give her a diet XXXXXXX in calories. Add oil to her diet to make it XXXXXXX in calories. Give her egg daily. This will take care of the protein requirements.

Hope this helps.