Child is having runny nose and high fever. Any suggestion?

Jun 2015

My kid is unwell since 4 days now.

Running nose, high fever, 104, 105 (Going on and off). However kid is very active and seems to be normal. Please suggest.
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later

The symptoms as mentioned in your post suggest that your kid might be having Upper viral infection)

Management include:
1. Drinking of warm fluids
2. Antihistamines to provide symptomatic relief from cold.
3. Analgesics to take care of fever.

Viral infections usually subside on their own in 6-7 days with symptomatic management, & antibiotics are not required.
However, if bacterial infection is suspected, complete antibiotic therapy will be required.

As your child is keeping active & seems to be normal, there is no need to worry.
But, if symptoms still persists or deteriorates like refusal to feed, continuous high fever, severe cough, breathlessness, etc. then it will be better to consult a Pediatrician for proper examination and further management.

Meanwhile, avoid cold food & drinks and maintain adequate hydration & nutrition status of your child.

Wishing her a good health & speedy recovery.
Please let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.
Follow-up: Child is having runny nose and high fever. Any suggestion? 5 hours later
Thanks doctor.

I think this information will help us. she is under medication (Suggested as per the family doctor) we will see for couple of days more and visit Pediatrician as suggested.

We are trying to feed her with normal meal (Which she is avoiding). Today she slept for long hours (Hope that is fine). while she is sleeping she has little trouble in breathing may be because of cold.

Can we do something for running nose? Please suggest.

Thanks once again - XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 27 minutes later

Thanks for your follow up query.

1. Avoidance of eating normal meal can be attributed to the cold itself, as there is loss of apetite as well as taste.
Under such conditions, it is important to maintain proper nutritional status to maintain strength.

2. Longer hours of sleeping can be due to the fatigue induced by cold & fever or due to the medications, some of which may have sedative properties.

3. You are right regarding the fact that little trouble in breathing while sleeping may be because of her cold.

4. The runny nose can be managed by administration of Antihistamine preparations.
Please let me know the medications suggested by your family doctor, so that I can know whether any Antihistamine has already been prescribed or not.

Other than that, keep her warm & well protected from any exposure to cold.

Hope I have been able to answer your queries.

Please let me know if you have any further queries.

Dr. Polash Sannigrahi