Child is having red pimple around anus and mouth. Should I be concerned?

My 16 month old has very red pimple like bumps around his anus and mouth, should I be concerned? What could this be?
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Himanshi Kashyap 2 hours later

Thanks for for the query.

Would like you to describe a little more about the pimple.Are they painful,itchy??
Was there any fever ?Are there any boils in the mouth ?Are they increasing in size and spreading?Since how long are they?

If they are painful and pus filled then it might be due to bacterial infection.
If they are not painful then maybe they are due to virus or allergic.

In the meanwhile you could apply calamine lotion .
I will appreciate if you could upload a few pictures so that I could help you in appropriately diagnosing it.

Awaiting your response...

Follow-up: Child is having red pimple around anus and mouth. Should I be concerned? 1 hour later
The started yesterday and look at little like blisters/pimples. There was only a few it started on his bottom first then spread to his face and has gotten worse in the last 24 hours. He did have a temperature 2 days ago but has been ok since then. I am not sure if they are painful but they do bother him a lot as he is rubbing his face where they are. I cannot see anything in his mouth. At the moment it does look clear. The pimple/blisters remind me of when I get coldsores sometimes, but they look more painful and irratating. And how do I upload photos?
Answered by Dr. Himanshi Kashyap 31 minutes later

Since the pimple like lesions have appeared in both the areas at one time after an episode of fever and look alike ..there is a possibility that it could be of viral origin.

Cold sores would have spread from some family member who suffered from it recently and so the child getting it on his own is kind of not possible though there are exceptions. There is a possibility that it could be a beginning of a hand foot mouth disease though there are no lesions in the mouth. I guess we might need to follow him in the next 24-48 hrs to see the progression of the rash. Most of the viral rash subside in a weeks time.

If the lesions are bothering him please give him some antihistamines like Benadryl, Atarax or cetrizine to calm him down. Keep applying calamine lotion. See to it that he is eating and drinking well.

Follow-up: Child is having red pimple around anus and mouth. Should I be concerned? 28 minutes later
Thank you for that, I was leaning toward hand foot and mouth as well. I was just hoping that it wasn't. Might have to shoot him up to my local GP and have them have a look at it. Thank you for that.
Answered by Dr. Himanshi Kashyap 9 minutes later

Usually for confirmation of Skin lesions one needs to have a closer look at the lesions and viral rash needs to be examined over a period for progression and till the time of disappearance for confirmation of the diagnosis.

Hoping for a speedy recovery.