Child is having red cheeks. Tested positive for underactive thyroid. Blood test done. Prognosis?

ENT Specialist
Hi I have an 8 year old son who has had bright red cheeks constantly for at least a year, maybe less. He has also tested poitive for underactive tyroid. Ultrasound on tyroid looked normal. Then when running some other blood test they found msss cells elevated, they said test showed 21 whatever that means. So they repeated it and got a 22 two weeks later. I knew when the brought up mass cells that I have heared them having something to do with cancer so of course I have been worried but after that second test I was told my doctor had decussed it with someone and they didnt think those numbers meant anything so they have left me hanging! He just saw indrencologest (proablt spelled wrong, sorry) and I asked her if she could run the ass cell test again for me but two weeks later when I called to check results the nurse tells me they didnt do the test! PLEASE give me your opinion on this and let me know what I can do now! HELP
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 9 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Mast Cells are immune cells that are involved in allergy and auto-immune disorders.

2. These cells are normally present throughout the body and in response to activation by immunoglobins (such as IgE), they degranulate (burst open) and release many substances and chemicals which are the mediators of allergy and inflammation. These cells increase in number in response to allergy and immune disorders

3. Cancer involving the mast cells is very rare. Hence it is unlikely that your son has a mast cell related cancer. Get a hemo-oncologist's opinion.

4. His thyroid problem may be related to an autoimmune condition. Do you have any detailed blood test reports, sonography reports, FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) reports that you can upload here?

5. Is he on anti-histamine medication? Sodium cromoglycate is an effective mast cell stabilizer. Anti-leukotrienes and steroids may also help.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Child is having red cheeks. Tested positive for underactive thyroid. Blood test done. Prognosis? 2 days later
Like I said in his health hitory he had a rash all over his body both times his mast cells levels were checked but we figure out his bed was invested by bed bugs. Since we had an exterminator
Treat the house and will continue to treat for 6 months. After the first treatment he has remained rash free.if I understand what u said in your first report, could the cells have been elevated due
To theall over body rash? Also I asked about his red face. It never goes away and gets much worse when he exercises. When I did some research on internet I learned these were both symptoms of leukemia, u said its unlikely he has this bc its so rare. So if not then what explains his symptoms, including his positive test for underactive tyroid. He has gain weight past year. He complains of headaches, stomach pain, leg pain, and he is having trouble with tiredness (falling asleep in school). His endocineologest took him off his tyroid med and we took him off his allergy med bc the rash was gone and he stopped itching but the ichig all over has returned lately. The endocrinologist wanted him off meds. for a month then another test because she said his levels were so low she thinks he can go without thyroid meds. Havent heared back from her yet. You mentioned a hemo-oncologist, will I need a referral? Thank u for ur help.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 8 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Yes, the bed bug allergy may be the reason for the elevated mast cell counts.

2. Leukemia has many other symptoms that he does not have. Leukemia is unlikely to be missed on a complete blood count and a bone marrow tap.

3. The persistent red cheeks are probably the result of chronic allergy or eczema. Get a Skin Specialist's opinion.

4. The endocrinologist has discontinued the thyroid hormone probably as his TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) levels are low. Do you have the thyroid function test results?

5. This seems to be an auto-immune condition. You need the referrals to a Skin Specialist, Hemo-oncologist, Infectious Disease Specialist and an Allergist/ Immunologist. He may require continuation of the anti-allergic medication and steroids.