Child is having premature graying of hair. Is this due to any deficiency?

Average

Pediatrician
Question

My daughter is 3.4 years old, I observed 3 grey hairs in her, can you please explain if this is any deficiancy. Is it ok to have grey hairs at such an young age, does she need any medication?
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 50 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

I understand your concern.

Premature greying of hair in very young child occurs when production of melanocytes stops in hair follicles and it could be due to following reasons;
- Genetic reasons.
- Lack of essential nutrients.
- Any underlying disease.
- Type of shampoo used

I suggest you to give balanced diet to your child XXXXXXX in essential nutrients.
Vitamins, protein, iodine and iron are some of nutrients which are to be given on daily basis. Give green leafy vegetables, fresh fruit, dairy products.

Avoid any kind of junk food like fried food, candies, sugary food, cold drinks.

Massage scalp with hair oil during night and wash next morning. Do it every alternate day.

If it persist, get your child evaluated by dermatologist to look for any underlying scalp problem and managed accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any other question I would be glad to help.

Wishing your child good health.

God bless!!