Child is having pink eye. Treated with eurithromicin ointment. Got fever. Concerned

Question
I have 2 1/2 year old with pink eye and 2 other children in household have it as well they are all being treated with eurithromicin ointment 3 times a day. But the 2 1/2 old just started a fever of 100.4 on day 4 of treatment . should i be alarmed
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 19 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Does he have any other complaint?
Is there any cough, burning urination, throat pain, increased frequency of urination, running nose etc?
Does he complain of eye pain etc?

If your child shows features of disturbed vision or significant swelling of the eye or increasing swelling of the eye or is not improving please consult you doctor as some times it could happen because of bacterial infection.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Child is having pink eye. Treated with eurithromicin ointment. Got fever. Concerned 2 hours later
Hi
She is acting like she is sensitive where she urinates when I was changing her diaper she said in baby talk and wining to not wipe her there.

and her eyes are a little swollen from pink eye I thought.

I took my son first on Wed. 3rd of April and he was diagnosed with pink eye and she gave me enough med. refill (eurithromaicn ointment for the eyes )for my two grandchildren who are visiting, ages 5 and 2 1/2 whom I am inquiring about. The 2 1/2 had gotten the pink eye on the next day the 4TH Thursday. the 5 year old on Sat. 6th.
Any more thoughts on my contaminated kid situation?

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 4 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

If she is complaining of pain while passing urine or increased frequency of urination or urgency in urination then we can think of fever.

If there is associated cold and nothing else we can think of viral etiology.

If there is fever with worsening pain and swelling around the eye with out any other problems you should consult your doctor at the earliest.

Hope this helps.