Child is having mild fever, cough and passing loose motion. How to overcome this?

Feb 2013

I have a 12 month old daughter (I am from India). I just got off a viral (cold / flu) and now she seems to have it. She was having low grade fever since past few days now fever has subsided but there is cough and since monring today she is also having loose motions. Kindly advise
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 17 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Your child seems to have diarrhea due to a viral cause.

The mainstay of treatment in diarrhea is to maintain hydration of the child.

Hydration can be maintained by giving sips of oral rehydration solutions like Pedialyte (ORS), coconut water, lemon water, and dal water to replace the losses of water and electrolytes in loose stools.

I advise you to keep on giving ORS in sip by sip till the loose motions get controlled.

Monitor her hydration by the following:

1. Activity

2. Urine output

3. Skin turgor

4. Moisture of oral cavity and tongue

Probiotics like Saccharomyces or lactobacillus which are available in sachets can be given orally after mixing in water to restore gut normal flora and this will help to decrease the diarrhea.

Home available curd and yogurt can be given as they contain probiotic.

Zinc supplementation for 2 weeks help to decrease the watery content of stool and prevent recurrent diarrhea.

For cough, you can give prescribed cough syrup containing mucolytic agent like ambroxol.

There for I advise you to consult your Pediatrician for the assessment of her hydration and for the prescription of medication.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.