Child is having low weight. What should I do to increase weight?

Feb 2013

my baby gal is 1 yr old .her weight is 6 kg only.want increse her weight.she ha prob with eating.she dont eat much as well.pls suggest me something.
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 30 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Your child weight at one year of 6 Kgs is low.

What was her birth weight?

Was she a preterm?

Is there any chronic health problem since her early infancy?

If there is any underlying medical problem, it should be taken care to improve her present weight.

Children usually trebles their birth weight by the age of 1 year.

If a child birth weight is 3 Kgs usually they reach approximately 9 Kgs weight at 1 year.

After 1 year, food cooked for family can be started.

Child should be given a diet with a high calorie value. She can be offered at least 150 Kilocalories/Kg/day.

Diet should contain milk with sugar and oil in addition to her solid diet.

In her soft and solid diet try to add some amount of ghee to increase the calories.

Multivitamin supplementation like Polybion-L syrup can be given 2.5 ml twice daily for 1 month to improve her appetite and to fill the gap of vitamin deficiencies.

If she eats egg (after excluding allergy to egg), one or two boiled eggs can be added to her regular diet

Please provide me the above information to advise you in a better way.

Awaiting for the details in your follow up query.

Follow-up: Child is having low weight. What should I do to increase weight? 6 minutes later
thanks dr
can u suggest me some very gud nutritional supplements ready in market?
hows syrp cypon for increse in appetite?
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 16 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

Nutritional supplements are usually advised in children above the age of 2 years.

Solid diet like rice, chapathi, khichidi will contain more calories in comparison to nutritional supplements.

Give more solid diet with addition of a little bit ghee or edible oil to each meal.

Cypon drops may increase appetite but will cause drowsiness which will interfere with her activity and food intake.

I personally don't advise Cypon drops to my patients.

Instead you can give multivitamin syrups like Polybion-L which increases appetite and supplements for multivitamins.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.