Child is having leg pain when sitting or kneeling down. What cure should be done?

Jun 2015

My 4th old has been experiencing what I think is leg cramps.she screams with the pain and when I do what people would normally do to ease cramps it works.she gets this pain frequently when she has been sitting on the toilet pan for abt 5 mins or so and then when she stands up she gets the cramps.sometimes she gets this pain if she is sitting kneeling dwn.I am very worried abt this.can u help?
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later

In the absence of any history of wear & tear or injury, muscle cramps & leg pain can be due to:

1. Deficiency of certain nutrients like Iron, Vitamin B 12, Vitamin D, Calcium, etc. which interferes with blood formation & nerve conduction.
2. Decrease in blood sugar levels (Hypoglycemia)
3. Hormonal imbalance like Hypothyroidism.
4. Lack of adequate hydration, proper nutrition & good sleep.
5. Even emotional factors like stress/tension can lead to such symptoms.

Investigations like complete blood count, estimation of hemoglobin concentration & blood sugar levels will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis.

So, it will be better to consult her Pediatrician & get a proper physical examination done to find out the exact cause.
Based upon that, appropriate management steps could be taken.

Meanwhile, she should maintain adequate hydration & take a healthy balanced diet.

There is no need to worry, she will be fine.

Wishing your daughter a good health.

Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.