Child is having high grade fever. Fever reduce after taking ibuprofen. Safe to take blood test now?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013
Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
My 4 year old grand daughter spiked a very high fever, before i tell you how high please know that my daughter and her husband checked and rechecked and got the same reading which was 107.6. They were able to get the fever down with cool bath and APAP and ibuprofen. Now 18 hours later her temp has stayed around 99.9. They did not take her in but did call. I finally talked her into taking her in. My question is is it too late for blood cultures now that the temp seems to be down
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 44 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

This type of high grade fever is usually seen in viral fevers, malaria, heat stroke.

Whenever there is a high grade fever the child can be given ibuprofen in prescribed dosage followed by tepid sponging with lukewarm water.

It is not late for blood cultures and now also she can give her blood sample for blood culture as she didn't receive any antibiotic till now.

In addition to blood cultures, other basic investigations like complete blood picture (CBP), malarial parasite, complete urine examination (CUE) and microscopy, and urine for culture and sensitivity may required after her Pediatrician clinical examination of the child.

Therefore I advise to consult her Pediatrician as early as possible for the physical examination and investigations if required depending on his observations.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Wishing your grand daughter a speedy recovery.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child is having high grade fever. Fever reduce after taking ibuprofen. Safe to take blood test now? 12 minutes later
Both her parents have been treated for lymes disease. Could this fever be related to possible lymes disease

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 34 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

Lyme disease may be a possibility if she lives in an endemic area for it but usually there will be history of tick bite followed by the development of redness of the skin and rash around the tick bite injury. And it requires antibiotics if it is the cause for her fever.

But detailed history, physical examination to look for tick bite site and other clinical findings, and laboratory investigations are required to come to a conclusion.

Therefore consultation with her Pediatrician is important for detailed review of her complaints and physical assessment.

Regards.