Child is having high fever. Given mefkind-p. Red rashes appeared. Side effect of medicine?

Allergist and Immunologist
My DD , 2.5 yrs is having intermittent high fever for past 3 days.
My pediatrician had prescribed mefkind-p ..from yesterday (instead of calpal)
suddenly she started developing rashes..

Is it due to allergy against mefkind-p ?Please enlighten
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 50 minutes later

Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

Mefkind-P is probably a combination of mefenamic acid-paracetamol (if I am not mistaken, although RSM ditributors list ingredients as only mefenamic acid) and if the rashes developed after a few doses, it is best to STOP this drug, and go back to plain paracetamol.

Mefenamic acid is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) and urticaria (itchy, red rashes) are common with this group of drugs. Ibuprofen also falls in this group so it is best for now to stick to only plain paracetamol (Calpol) to lower the temperature.
I am, however, presuming no antibiotics were prescribed or taken at the same time, or no other drugs.

Please ask any questions if you have after reading my reply.
Best Wishes.