Child is having headache. Prescribed muscle relaxers. Not cured. Suggest effective medicine

Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
My son has had a headache for five weeks and now he is really weak. He went to the Dr three weeks ago and he gave him muscle relaxers but they did not help and put him in a very bad mood so he quit taking them. He has an appointment next Thursday but I'm really getting worried that something may be very wrong. My son just sits in pain and won't call the Dr. Saying he'll until his appointment. He tried one pain pill and it only made him sick. What do you recommend? He is scared that something may be very wrong and I think that's why he won' t call the Dr to be seen sooner.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 19 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

I am surprised why the doctor has prescribed a muscle relaxant for headache. I shall appreciate if you can share the following details:
1. Is the headache constant or does it come and go? At what time of the day does the headache come if it is intermittent?
2. When was his vision last checked?
3. Is the headache associated with vomiting?
4. Which pain killer did he have which made him sick?
5. Any history of high blood pressure?
6. Has he tried just taking acetaminophen and what is the response?

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please revert back for any clarifications and do share the facts that I have requested.

Wishing your son an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/SuCjl

Follow-up: Child is having headache. Prescribed muscle relaxers. Not cured. Suggest effective medicine 10 minutes later
1. It is constant
2. Years ago, I asked him the same thing but he believes his vision to be fine. 3. No 4. Lorotab 7.5. 5. No. 6.Yes the has and no. He is feeling very weak also.

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 17 minutes later

Thanks for the update.

I suggest that your son needs to be thoroughly examined and investigated. It shall be better if an appointment with the doctor is fixed and the following things stressed:
1. Complete physical examination including neurological.
2. Ophthalmic check-up.
3. Appropriate investigations thereafter.

It is very difficult to hazard a guess for the likely cause of the constant headache with an appropriate examination.

I hope you appreciate the limitation of this forum in managing your son.

Wishing your son an early recovery.

Rajiv

Follow-up: Child is having headache. Prescribed muscle relaxers. Not cured. Suggest effective medicine 6 minutes later
Thank you very much Dr. Khandelwal for your advice. Just another worried mother sincerely, XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 5 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

I can appreciate your concern. You have all the right to get as much information as possible. I was endeavour to do the best for you and your son.

I hope I have satisfied you to the best of my ability. Please do leave a review and/or a rating in case you intend closing this query.

Wishing your son an early recovery.

Rajiv