Child is having grey hairs on scalp. How to cure this?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Hello Doc,

My 4 year old son has grey hair in his scalp, we are a bit worried about this sign. please can you help me understand the reason and the possible cure for this.
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. K. C. Pant 6 hours later

Your 4 year old son’s cause of grey hair could be local cause at hair roots.
In most of the cases of premature graying of hair is caused by Dandruff and in some, it occurs due to deficiency of trace elements and protein.

You can use anti-dandruff therapy by using Nizoral 2% locally once a week and give him balanced diet with regular use of fruits and green vegetables.

You can give protein and iron supplements, zinc and vitamin -D along with diet.

Avoid using harsh cosmetic soaps oil and shampoos. Keep hairs small and trim.

I am sure your child is going to have new healthy hairs if you take these steps for at least for 6 months and above.

Hope I answered your query.

Paediatrician & Neonatologist