Child is having green colored stool with abdomen cramps and sore throat. What could be the cause?

My 12 year old daughter has been having green/grey colored bowel movements with slight abdomen cramping. Sometimes it is solid and sometimes it is diarrhea. No fever. Sometimes sore throat accompanies it. The symptoms usually come on in the late afternoon. She has been having the symptoms for about a week and a half.
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please, let her get a stool exam. Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about these abnormal stools that your daughter has been reporting. The fact that these symptoms usually come on in the afternoon warrants her breakfast diet to be evaluated. Please, has there been any recent changes in her morning feeding habits or any new additions? If nothing suggests these symptoms being linked to diet, then let her get her stool examined for any possible germs that would explain this. Until then, let her stay hydrated as diarrhea doesn't kill but dehydration does. I hope this helps. Thanks for using our services and please do feel free to request for further information or clarification if need be. I wish her a speedy recovery. Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow-up: Child is having green colored stool with abdomen cramps and sore throat. What could be the cause? 6 minutes later
Thank you for getting back to me. No changes in her morning diet that would cause the symptoms. We will keep an eye on any more changes or symptoms. We have kept her hydrated and will continue to do so. She drinks a lot of cold green tea. Is that ok? There were a few students in her class that were sick with strep would this cause this symptoms? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: If there have been students with similar symptoms, then this can be a possible source of the infection. Drinking cold green tea is a good idea. At least, it helps keep her well hydrated. Keep it up! Thanks and hope this helps answer your query. feel free to ask for more information as need arises. Dr. Ditah, MD