Child is having fever and pain in back of calf. Diagnosed with viral infection. Any advice?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
i took my son tot he dr today. he has had fever since saturday. the dr told me its a virus and it will run its course. however my son cant walk. he is complaining of pain in the back of his calf. he is 4 years old and im really worried. when i took him to the dr he did not have a fever i just checked him now again and his temp is 102. please advice me. his legs really hurt
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 39 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
This is probably viral infection which goes with fever, fatigue, headache and pain in bones and muscles. If temp. is more than 102 you should give him something to reduce it (acetaminofen or brufen syrup),but consult your doctor about it. I know you are concered about child, but this is probably just a simple virus.
If you think that he cant walk because he cant move his legs or he has tingling sensations than it can be something serious,but probably he doesnt walk because he has typical bone and muscle pain. Also if you notice seizures, or fever >104 and breathing difficulties you should go to ED.
If not, just give him enough liquids(water and tea) and reduce fever. He should recover in few days.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help