Child is having diarrhoea. On medication. Stop feeding breast milk. Suggest proper treatment

Hi Doctor,
My one year old daugther is suffering with loose motion since last 15 days. Though frequency of motions are not very high (7-8 times a day), she is still not recovered fully. She has been treated with following
1. Furoxone (First line)
2. Nutrolin B (Second Line + currently on)
3. Z&D DS 20 Powder (Second Line)
4. Enterogermina (Currently On)
Apart from this doctor has asked us to stop feeding milk and suggested other suppliment like Pediasure and we have started giving it to her.
Please let me know if this treatment is correct or we can do something else. Also what would be the best thing to eat in this situation. Currently we are giving her Pediasure, Bananas, Rice, Pulses, Potatos and Mashed Apples.
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

I understand the problem you are facing with those loose motions your kid is having.

Your doctor might have suspected some bacterial infection. So he started on antibiotic. We suspect bacterial infection if there is pus in the stool or mucus or fever.

Nutrolin B & Enterogermina are probiotics. Probiotics are useful in diarrhea.

Zinc has protective role and we prescribe it in children with loose motions.

Milk is stopped in children with prolonged diarrhea.

As far as diet is concerned continue to give all that was started previously. Do not start some thing new during this period.

Maintain her hydration with ORS if the stools are watery.

So now you should wait and watch. Do not worry your kid will improve.

Please feel free to ask further questions as required. I will be more than happy to answer them.

Hope this helps.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty,
M.D. (Pediatrics)
Associate Professor.