Child is having diarrhea. what to do?

Feb 2013

My daughter is three months,, I think she has diarrhea as she had 7 dirty diapers for the last 12 hrs. What should i do? Thanks
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
maintain hydration of the child.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The mainstay of treatment in diarrhoea is to maintain the hydration of the child.

Breastfeeding should be given frequently to prevention the dehydration.

Give sips of oral rehydration solutions such as Pedialyte to maintain hydration of the child.

Monitor the child hydration status by activity, urine output, and moisture of oral cavity and tongue.

Oral probiotics and zinc can be given to decrease the loose stools with the prescription from the Pediatrician.

Stool to be given for tests such as routine examination and for culture and sensitivity to look for the type of infection.

Therefore I advice you to consult the Pediatrician for examination and treatment.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.