Child is having diarrhea and vomiting. Diagnosed with stomach viral. Stool test showed positive for ESBL

Pediatrician, Critical Care
Hi doc,
My son is suffering from diarrhea and vomiting for the last 4 days. The local doctor diagnosed it as stomach viral. He gave a dosage of Domstal - 3 times a day before meals, Edogermina - 2 times a day. He also got us to do a stool test - routine and culture.
We have been following the same routine. The vomiting has been suppressed by giving Domstal, his stool consistency has also improved. Earlier the stools were totally watery and smelly but today they were loose.
The routine stool test report has come out normal, but the culture is showing ESBL - Positive.
Please advice if ESBL -Positive a cause for worry.

Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Tejas Shah 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query here at XXXXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

I can understand your worry about positive stool culture report.

Stool culture has grown a particular type of bacteria called E.Coli. ESBL means Extended-Spectrum Beta-Lactamases producing organisms. ESBL E.Coli bacteria secrete certain chemicals and these chemicals give them power to work against the antibiotics.

Certain type of antibiotics which normally work against E.Coli don't work against ESBL E.Coli and hence it is important to detect and treat accordingly.

I am glad to know that his vomiting is under control and stools have started to get better.

I would like to know:
Does he have any blood in stools?
Is he running temperature?
How is his appetite?
Has he had any recent antibiotic course?

Don't be alarmed or panicky with this report. There are many patients who are carriers of this bacteria as well (Carrier have bacteria in their body, but they don't have any adverse effects on their body).

Please revert back with your answers and I can give further advice.

Dr Tejas Shah

Follow-up: Child is having diarrhea and vomiting. Diagnosed with stomach viral. Stool test showed positive for ESBL 21 minutes later
Dear doctor ,

Below are the replies to your questions.

Does he have any blood in stools? No

is he running temperature? was , but isnt anymore.

How is his appetite? not good.

Has he had any recent antibiotic course? No

Hope the above are in accordance.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Tejas Shah 14 hours later
Sorry for delay in getting back to you.

With his stools still being loose and appetite not better, it is better to treat this organism with antibiotics. As per his culture, he should take Syr Co-amoxiclav or Syr Ofloxacin. However, I would get him checked over by your Paediatrician and then commence the medicines.

It is good to take Zinc containing preparations during diarrhoea for earlier symptom control along with Enterogermina.

This bacteria can be treated and with appropriate therapy, symptoms will subside.

I hope I have been able to resolve your query.
Please do get back to me if you any further queries.

Dr Tejas Shah