Child is having constipation. Noticed blood in urine. Advised to use dulcolax suppositories. Any thoughts?

I have a query regarding my 6 month old baby boy. He passes stools once in two days or more but the bowl movements are extremely painful for him. We have been to pediatricians and we have been advised diet of Prune juice, rice, moong daal, ragi, banana and papaya. We have been giving all this from last 2 days but so far no luck as today also the motions were very painful for him. We also noticed a bit of blood on this stool. We have also been advised about putting Dulcolax Suppositories once in two days maybe and some external lotion to heal the tear has been give.
How do we make it less painful for this child when it's motion time for him yet again. Please advise.
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 38 minutes later
Thanks for your query to healthcare magic.

In infants at the time of weaning (dietary transition), addition of solid foods into the diet usually results in constipation. The fiber content in your baby's diet has to be increased to avoid constipation, follow the diet as advised by your Pediatrician. Start trying all variety of fruits & vegetables. Add palak everyday. Since it is summer time, give him plenty of fluids.

Note that two days is not enough for a change in bowel habits. It takes at least few weeks to improve. Until then you can request your pediatrician to prescribe syrup lactulose/syp. Paraffin & administer it for at least a week/two. This will definitely reduce the pain & soften the stools.

Hope the information was helpful. I am happy to answer any further queries in this regard, if no kindly close the query & rate it.

Take care,
Dr. Balaji Chinnasami, MD
Assistant Professor- Pediatrics
Follow-up: Child is having constipation. Noticed blood in urine. Advised to use dulcolax suppositories. Any thoughts? 47 minutes later
Thanks for your answer. Even totally on mother feed , he used to have constipation, that is when he was 3 months of age. So that is one input I forgot to tell earlier. Currently he is partially on mother feed and partially on external feed.
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 8 hours later

Thanks for giving more details.

Breast milk is so easily digested that it doesn't form enough bulk as stools so many children pass stools two to three days once but the stools will be soft and not hard.

Just give a sincere attempt of giving high fiber diet, laxatives for atleast one or two months. If still problem persists then he needs to be evaluated for other causes of constipation like thyroid problem, surgical problems like Hirschprung disease.

If you have any other queries I am happy to help or else close the query and rate it.

Dr. Balaji CHinnasami MD
Assistant Professor - Pediatrics