Child is having cold, cough and runny nose. Is it safe to give cough syrup?

Pediatrician, Critical Care
My son has running nose for last 3-4 days. I visited a doctor 4 days back for his vaccination and doctor said his lungs are clear. Doctor wrote me a cough syrup for him but we have not given any medicine yet.
I have seen an increase in his cold but not sure if he has cough and unclear chest.
Can I give him relent as he was allergic to weather change and was getrting cold everytime due to that in his early years. Or just te cough syrup is enough.
I will hardly find any doctor today as it is sunday so need your advice please.
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Tejas Shah 55 minutes later
Thanks for asking your query here at XXXXXXX

You've not mentioned about his age, whether he is running fever, taking fluids/feeding and which cough syrup has been prescribed?

Relent Syrup contains Cetirizine (anti-allergic medicine) and Ambroxol (cough medication). It can definitely be used if his symptoms of running nose, cold are not getting better.

It is quite possible that the cough syrup prescribed to you contain anti-allergic medicine. If you can revert back with the name of the cough syrup and answers to my queries above, I can guide you further (we cannot overdose anti-allergic medicines because they can be harmful/sedative).

Waiting for your reply

Dr Tejas Shah
Pediatrician, Ahmedabad
Follow-up: Child is having cold, cough and runny nose. Is it safe to give cough syrup? 40 minutes later
He ia 4.6 years. There is no fever. He is taking food however has reduced the quantity.
Doctor has suggested Ambrodil s syrup. 5 ml 3 time a day.
Answered by Dr. Tejas Shah 3 hours later
Thanks for reverting back.

Relent syrup has anti-allergic and mucolytic medicines helpful for both cough and cold. Ambrodil S doesn't have any anti-allergic medicine. However, it has the Ambroxol component which is also present in Relent Syrup.

It will be advisable with his current symptoms of runny nose to use Relent Syrup. For his age, it will be appropriate to give 5 ml twice a day. Symptoms will take few days to recover.

If any worrying symptoms appear, he would need to be reviewed by Pediatrician.

I hope he recovers soon

Dr Tejas Shah