Child is getting swollen boils and lump on legs. What should I do?

my 19 month child is getting boils every now and then on her legs its swollen and a lump is formed can u plz help
Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 10 minutes later
I would be pleased to answer your question .
Your history and clinical picture are suggestive of 'Recurrent Folliculitis' or furunculosis which is the infection of the hair follicles.

1. Mupirocin ointment twice a day for 5-7 days whenever the bumps come. If there is no improvement within 3 days of this then you will require a 5 days course of an oral antibiotic like Dicloxacillin syrup three times a day depending on the weight.

2. Dial Antibacterial liquid soap for bathing. Continue this even when asymptomatic.

3. Mupirocin cream twice a day in the inside skin of the nose for 14 days. This may seem strange since you have no symptoms there but this is the commonest site of carriage of the bacteria that causes this condition (staph). Infection keeps recurring from here through carriage by the fingers to other parts of the body.

NOTE: Dicloxacilllin and mupirocin will require a prescription so I would recommend discussing my recommendations with your GP/family physician. Bacitracin is an OTC alternative to Mupirocin cream.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries.