Child is getting bad smell from mouth and nose. What could be done?

My son is 2 years old, and for the last week he's smelled odd around his head. At first we thought maybe he was playing in the thawed rotten leaves in the yard when he went outside. But after the last two days I've been bathing him often and thoroughly, and continuously brushing his teeth to be sure it wasn't just really bad breath. And we'd take turns smelling him right after this was all done, and the scent seems to be emanating from the area in or around his eyes. As I said it's a bad smell, like garbage or rotten eggs. Sometimes we can smell it just if he is close by, and sometimes we have to be holding him with our noses next to his face. any clues as to what the cause could be?
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 15 minutes later

Thanks for your query to XXXXXXX

Toddlers are notorious in putting objects like cotton, vegetable matters etc into their nose. As they start decaying, they give away this bad odour you describe. But usually they give some history of nasal discharge or block. So I would strongly recommend you to get your child examined by an Ear Nose throat specialist and have a look at his nostrils.

Does your son exhibit any other symptoms, any past history of illness? It will be helpful to give other suggestions.

I will be happy to answer your any other queries.

Take care,
Dr. Balaji Chinnasami
Assistant professor- Pediatrics
Follow-up: Child is getting bad smell from mouth and nose. What could be done? 8 hours later
Thankyou! He had a nose bleed last night, as a result of a tumble out of bed, and so I was skeptical that it could be something stuck up his nose, as the blood didn't seem to be blocked last night. But to be sure, I tried the old blow in the mouth and plug one nostril trick an emergency doctor taught me when he had a BEAD in his nose last month (I guess that was my clue right there), and voila! a small peace of black cotton and a piece of lettuce came out! and they smelt AWFUL. so I'm pretty sure it was the cause. I'll see how he smells when he wakes up in the morning. Thanks again!
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 5 hours later
Dear Madam,

I am happy that my opinion was useful. I am sure he will be alright when he wakes up.

Since he has done this twice in the past few weeks, be vigilant, because sometimes these particles can be aspirated even into the lungs & cause serious troubles.

If you don’t have any further queries, kindly close the query & rate it.

Take care,
Dr. Balaji Chinnasami-Assistant Professor (Pediatrics)