Child is disinterested in studies, is slow and makes silly mistakes. What should be done?

Feb 2013

query for my daughter.
My daughter is 8 yrs old and study in 3rd std. for last 10 months, we have been observing her dis-interest in studies. she is slow in writing/reading. makes silly mistakes, does not concentrate. we have discussed this issue with her and her class teacher as well ti understand the cause. everything was well for some time but now the same situtation. what should we do now
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in Parenting
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

It seems your child was normal 10 months back, now she is not showing interest and concentration in her studies.

Before answering to your concern, I need to know some information regarding the child.

Is there any change in her behavior?

Is she having any health problem?

Is there any conflicts between children or between child and parents?

Is there any change in school?

Is she having any conflicts in the school with teachers, friends?

What are the specific complaints from her school?

Is she having any physical changes in her body?

Is she having enough time for play?

Ask her in a gentle and smooth way about any problems she is facing at school or home.

Be patient and don't scold for anything.

Observe for any difference in her physical activities, school activities, and her concerns.

Watch for any undue pressure on her by her school work or home work.

Try to look for the causes like lack of motivation, problems at home or with peers, poor work habits or study skills, or emotional and behavioral problems.

Other problems which cause poor school performance are medical problems, anxiety, depression, attention deficit problems.

Carefully observe for these problems, which may causing a change in her school performance since the last 10 months.

If there are any conflicts, try to resolve them.

Finding the root cause is important in managing the child to improve in her scholastic performance.

If she is still having any problems, consult pediatrician for screening for any medical problems and referral to a child psychiatrist or psychologist if necessary.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know in follow up query along with the details I have asked.