Child is coughing, stomach pain, head pain, fever, cold limbs. Any ideas? Has milk allergy

My 4 year old has been coughing for approx 2.5 weeks. This evening she started saying she didn't feel good. Her stomach hurt as well as her "brain." When we got home, she started running a fever of 101.4, but her hands and feet are freezing. Any ideas? We did take her to the dr last week and he said her lungs, throat etc were all clear. She did have a childhood allergy screen done with showed a slight possibility of a mild milk allergy (she has always drank milk without a problem in the past).
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 52 minutes later
Thanks for the query

Your child has been suffering from cough since two weeks and she has started spiking fever recently.
I would like to rule out allergy as a possibility because allergic coughs are usually without fever however to rule out other possibilities I would like to know more about her condition

1. Is she complaining about sore throat? Does she have/had a running nose?
2. Is the cough with expectoration?
3. You are telling me that she complained on stomach ache, did she have loose stools?
4. Did the doctor give any medications? If yes then what medications is she on?

For the fever, you can do sponging with normal temperature(room temparature-25-30 degrees Celsius) water for the time being.

Please get back to me with the answers, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Child is coughing, stomach pain, head pain, fever, cold limbs. Any ideas? Has milk allergy 15 minutes later
She has not had a sore throat that she complains about and is drinking and eating without pain, although not as much as she usually would. She complained of the stomach ache, but no diarrhea or vomiting. She would only eat 1/2 of an XXXXXXX for dinner. She does have a runny nose/sniffles that have been getting worse over the last 2 weeks as well. Her cough sounds wet, but nothing is coming out. There was no rattle in her chest either. The dr did not prescribe anthing as he couldn't find anything wrong at that time. The allergy screen only showed a "possible, slight allergy to milk." She has drank milk and milk products since birth with no problem.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 25 hours later

Thanks for the query

You daughter is having a running nose with wet cough. This means that she is suffering from a upper respiratory tract. Right now she is running fever as well. She needs to be treated with anti histamines like chlorphenaramine maleate syrup and though most upper respiratory tract infections are viral I would recommend you to start antibiotics in her because it has been 2 and a half weeks. The ideal antibiotic would be azithromycin. I would recommend you to go to the pediatrician again for another examination and prescription and also a chest x XXXXXXX is highly recommended to rule out a lower respiratory tract infection
The stomach ache most likely is gastritis as she is not eating well. This should recover once the treatment is initiated and her appetite improves. An oral syrup of an antacid on an empty stomach will help.

I would also like you to follow these advises

1. Avoid cold food and beverages
2. Avoid oily and spicy food. Follow a soft bland diet
3. Do not send her to school until the fever subsides
4. Fever can be managed with tepid sponging and syrup paracetamol

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further queries please accept my answer