Child is breathing heavily with fever. Prescribed cefpodoxine for pneumonia. Not cured. Alternative cure?

Question
baby problemsmy 9 months baby has heavy breathing very high fever of upto 39.5degrees celcuis. i took her to the hospital and the doctor said it is pneumonia she prescribed cefpodoxine proxetil but still no response after the first dose. is this the best for a nine month baby for this illness. she weighs 10.9kgs please advise.
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

I request you to answer the following questions.

Is your baby feeding normally (at least when the temperature comes down with paracetamol or any other antipyretic given for fever)?

Is there any vomiting?

Is your baby lethargic?

Since when is your baby having heavy breathing and fever?

Since when is your baby having cough?

Can you tell me the respiratory rate of your baby? (This you can count when your baby is sleeping or lying down quietly. Please count the number of times chest rises and falls)

Is there any chest in drawing when your baby is breathing? (retractions between the ribs or below the ribs)

Does your baby produce abnormal sound when breathing?

Are there any investigations done (Like TLC, DLC, CRP (C-reactive protein), blood culture, X-ray chest)? If so please give the reports if possible.

If a baby (in the age group of 9 months) is diagnosed as a case of pneumonia then Intravenous antibiotics are required.

Please reply in detail so that I can help you better.

Follow-up: Child is breathing heavily with fever. Prescribed cefpodoxine for pneumonia. Not cured. Alternative cure? 2 hours later
she is feeding normally when temperature is down. vomitted once when taking medicine. she is lethargic.
the fever and heavy breathing started yesterday.
she has had a cough for over a week but it stoppwd for two days.

there is below the ribs, she breathes with a sound now

no investigation apart from full blood count which showed high white cell

Thanks for your reply.

Your baby requires close monitoring.

A high white cell count along with increased polymorphs (if present) indicates bacterial infection.

If your baby has vomiting (not while giving medication), continues to be lethargic and develops poor feeding or decreased activity or continues to have high grade fever take her to the doctor immediately.

Monitor her respiration. If she is breathing fast (even when the temperature is reduced with paracetamol) or developing chest retractions you should take her to the emergency.

Please feel free to ask further questions. I will be more than happy to answer them.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor
Pediatrics

Follow-up: Child is breathing heavily with fever. Prescribed cefpodoxine for pneumonia. Not cured. Alternative cure? 1 hour later
Dr. Murty,
you have not answered my initial question, with all these symptoms do you think the medicine the doctor we saw prescribed is the best for this infection? i need to know if i should go and request for a different drug?
the doctor we saw said there was no need to stay in hospital but i need a second opinion on the drugs given please? do you suggest something else?

Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 29 minutes later

Your doctor gave a broad spectrum antibiotic which covers most of the bacteria that cause infection. It is a oral third generation cephalosporin.

If the symptoms persist you may have to consult your doctor for intravenous antibiotics or change of antibiotic.

I already explained the scenario and danger signs where in you should consult your doctor.

Hope this helps.