Child is being administered with Vinlep mild epilepsy. What dosage is safe?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
Vinlep 300 is being administered for symptoms of mild rolandic epilepsy on my child who is 7 years old..the dosage prescribed is 750 mg per day... Is their any impact or side effect long term on any organs with this drug...
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Epilepsy

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. First of all, I would like to reassure you that your daughter is having a mild form of epilepsy and there is no need to worry about the long term bad effects of that epilepsy. Also, vinlep (oxcarbazepine) is a safe and effective anti-epileptic medication. The correct dose of vinlep is 10-20 mg per kg body weight per day. Vinlep does not have any significant adverse effects on any organ systems of our body. I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, My personal URL on this website: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Follow-up: Child is being administered with Vinlep mild epilepsy. What dosage is safe? 1 hour later
Sir,,thanks so much for your reply.. As a father a natural concern is that will this form of epilepsy have any impact going ahead on her scholastic and cognitive skills. One more input -- the MRI report mentioned this finding --GLIOSIS DUE TO OLD INSULT INVOLVING POSTERIOR LIMB OF RIGHT INTERNAL CAPSULE, BODY OF RIGHT CAUDATE AND RIGHT CORONA RADIATA. Could this be clinically the trigger point of this rolandic epilepsy symptoms that were seen..

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Yes, I can understand your concern. However, I would like to reassure you that in most children, the scholastic performance and cognitive skills would not be affected. The MRI findings may be the trigger point for seizures, but those areas of brain are not so commonly associated with severe seizures. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Child is being administered with Vinlep mild epilepsy. What dosage is safe? 16 minutes later
Sir, Thanks very much... how long usually the medication of Vinlep 300 (oxcarbazepine) is suggested for these cases.. Clinically how long does it take for a patient with such symptoms to overcom it OR such a seizure episode can relapse anytime later in life as well..e

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Generally, at least three seizure-free years are required. Then, the anti-epileptic medication dose is lowered and stopped. After discontinuation, most people remain well, however, in a small percentage of people, the seizures may recur in future too. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Child is being administered with Vinlep mild epilepsy. What dosage is safe? 32 minutes later
Dear Sir,, thanks for all your inputs. As i understand the philosophy of treatment is to keep the recurrence of seizures under control,, request advise apart from regular medication wha are the other things that needs to be avoided or minimized that might cause a trigger of these attacks of rolandic epilepsy.t

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Following measures would reduce the chances of seizure recurrence: 1. Adequate sleep of 7-8 hours per night, 2. Regular meals on time, 3. Avoid stress 4. Prompt treatment of fever, 5. Avoiding too much TV or computer use Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)