Child ingested johnsons baby oil. Should I consult a doctor?

My son 6.5 yrs old ingested some johnsons baby oil a few minutes back my doctor could not answer my call..should I take him to the hospital
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 9 minutes later
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.Do not panic.I can understand your anxiety.
It is usually non toxic.It might cause some indigestion or loose motion.
If he has persistant vomiting,severe abdominal pain or rashes then rush him to ER.
Consult your doctor tomorrow if the child is stable.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.
Follow-up: Child ingested johnsons baby oil. Should I consult a doctor? 11 minutes later
He seems ok as of now. He can't communicate in case of discomfort so pls advice if there are signs to watch out for at night.....I read some horror stories online regarding baby oil aspiration and respiratory distress so I got worried.
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 10 hours later
Don't get horrified by some silly stuff that you have mentioned.You baby will be absolutely fine.
The worrying signs are severe diarrhoea,vomiting and abdominal pain.Baby oil is not volatile and will not cause aspiration and respiratory distress.
have a nice day.