Child having white spots on face. What could this be?

Jul 2012

hi my 16 month old has a white spot on his face for as long as I can remember- I thought when he was an infant it was millia but it looks more like a pimple now that has white pus in it- i popped it a few months ago and it has reappeared......what could this be, it not too big but slightly larger than in the past few months...
Posted Wed, 10 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there. Thanks for writing in.
From your concise description, it does appear to be what is called a colloid milium. Do not worry. It is a benign growth & may recur if not removed in toto with the sac. Alternatively, it could be a molluscum contagiosum lesion. The treatment option for both remains the same. It needs to be 'excised' in toto by one of various methods including minor surgery using a fine needle & forceps, electrosurgery or laser surgery depending on the treating doctor's expertise & equipment at his/her disposal. Trust this allays your fears & helps you make an informed deciscion on reaching your local dermatologist's fix an appointment but it is by nop means serious or any emergency. Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist
Follow-up: Child having white spots on face. What could this be? 12 minutes later
many thanks for your prompt reply. what is the safest way to get this done would you suggest? can a benign growth become malignant if not removed in a certain time frame? What are the latest methods to do this with minimal scarring? I am sure different dermotologists use different methods, but what in your opinion is the best one, irrespective of cost- just safely and minimal invasiveness? Will he need sedation or a proper full anesthesia?
Many thanks
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 19 minutes later
Hi Again,
No question of a malignancy. The safest & most aesthetic method would be to do it with a laser. However a needle expression in good hands is equally effective. A child's skin remodells fast & there is going to be minimal to no scarring in either case. It can be done sans sedation of any sorts & at most, a topical EMLA cream may be used. Do hope have answered your queries & good luck with the treatment. Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD