Child having wet cough and pain in arm. Chest x-ray normal. Related to respiratory infection?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My 3yr old son has had a persistent wet productive cough for 6 weeks now. We have ruled out asthma, and all allergies. Chest Xray is normal. He had a fever but it is now gone. He is currently on Augmentin. Today he is telling me that both underarms hurt. Could this be related to the resp infection? Also any ideas on what could cause a wet cough for 6 weeks? (I have also had a bad cough, but mine has cleared up, and turned dry at this point) I plan on following up with is Dr but that will have to wait until tomorrow
Posted Sun, 6 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 26 minutes later

Welcome o XXXXXXX

The possibility for this prolonged cough is
1 viral infections ( viruses like adeno virus can cause a very bad
cough even like whooping cough!!)

A high IgM is in favour.

2- Post viral wheeze and bronchospasm can result in prolonged cough. He may respond to a trial of broncho dilator medicines..

3 still allergy can be the possibility even though known allergens are negative in tests!

4 I would suggest a mantoux test also when every thing else is negative,

The pain in the arms may be a part of general muscle fatigue which is common post viral states.

Good luck

God bless

Dr Uma
Follow-up: Child having wet cough and pain in arm. Chest x-ray normal. Related to respiratory infection? 28 hours later
Dr Uma,

Thank you for your response.

1. I read that Adenovirus causes a dry cough, my sons cough is very wet and mucousy. Can Adenovirus cause a wet, productive cough?

2. I forgot to mention, he did a 3 week course of nebulizer treatments with albuterol (2x day for one week) and pulmicort (2x day for 3 weeks) with no relief from the cough

3. As for the TB test, his DR said that would not be needed since his chest xray was normal, and we are not a high risk area (we live in Maryland)
Do you agree with that?

4. As for bronchospasms, Would his cough be so productive with a post viral bronchospasm?

Thank you again

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 5 hours later
Hi Dear,

1 Yes, the nature of cough can vary depending on the presence of broncho spasm and accumulation of secretions,secondary infection,etc.
The cough starts as wet cough and then becomes dry or vice versa!

2- yes I expected it !
It is common!

3- chest X XXXXXXX normal DOES not rule out TB!,
Mantoux test still can be planned! If e still does not improve in 2 weeks time!

4 answer same as #1

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma