Child having watery stools after steroid treatment. Should I be concerned?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My 2 1/2 year old daughter is having watery stools and they smell like vomit. She did have croup last week and had the steroid treatment at that time. Should I be concerned about this?
Posted Tue, 30 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 28 minutes later

I can understand your concern!

A short course of steroids given for croup will not affect her. In fact, it is indicated for that condition. Do not worry.

Probably what she had was a viral croup and, the diarrhea is a part of the same spectrum.

However, you mention the stools are foul smelling. If there is no fever, you give her only some oral electrolytes like pedialyte, which may be available over the counter in your country.

If the diarrhea persists with foul smell, you may have to go to ER and get her examined. Please MAKE SURE THAT SHE DOES NOT GET DEHYDRATED!

Wishing you all the best.

Dr Uma