Child having vomiting in early morning. What could be the reason?

My grandson, who is 6 yrs. old, vomits occasionally without notice and is not sick with stomach virus. He is fine afterward and resumes play. it occurs about once every few weeks and always in early morning from 4 to 6 a.m. He has had all the gastric tests and all are normal. He is under weight and doesn't eat much.
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read the medical history of your grandson and I can say that there is nothing to worry about him. Please bare in mind that there are 2 main reasons of vomiting: - gastric - non-gastric (nervous particularly) In the case of your grandson, where the episodes of vomiting occur early in the morning, it means that your grandson does not like to go out of home. Perhaps he has changed the class or school and do not like that place or do not like the friends or the teacher. So, he is provoking uncounsciously such vomiting to make him seem sick in front of you. But he is not. First, I'd like to check the psychological factors that make your grandson vomiting. You can ask him directly or consult a psychologist to find out what makes him vomit. You can ask him if he likes - the school or kindergarten - the friends (anyone who he likes most or someone who is giving trouble to him) - the teacher (perhaps teacher is too rude or strict or beating him,etc.) If everything is ok, then, I suggest to do - examination of stool for ova/parasites = usually, parasitic infections of the intestines can give such background; vomiting, no appetite,etc. - if your grandson is not circumcised, then, I suggest to talk to an urologist to determine if it is time to run circumcision. Usually, male children do have urinary tract problems if not circumcised, they do not have appetite. Once they got circumcised, they regain weight and vitality. - consult his physician to exclude migraine if he is also complaining of headache when vomiting. Hope it enlightened to find out the reason of vomiting in your grandson. If you have more questions, feel free to write back in the follow up. I'd be happy to assist you further. Dr.Klerida
Follow-up: Child having vomiting in early morning. What could be the reason? 1 hour later
thank you so much for that answer. but he loves school and can't wait to get there. His mom is a teacher at his school so it s not about leaving her.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Great that he loves school,run suggested lab tests Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. I am happy to hear that your grandson loves school. There are few things I'd like to discuss further: - you are saying that he is taking allegra. When did he start it before the vomiting started or after? That's quite important to discuss with your physician. - have you ever checked your grandson's blood sugar level? I'd advice to check when he is having the vomiting episodes and discuss further with his physician. Next, I'd also suggest to do the lab tests as suggested earlier (fecal examination for ova/parasites and urine analysis) and consult urologist if he is not circumcised. All these tests are routine to determine the right diagnosis. Hope this answered to your concerns! Wish you health! Dr.Klerida