Child having vomiting. Should I give ondem or consult a doctor?

Feb 2013

Dear Sir, my baby (aged 1yr 4 month F)used take food 4/5 times a day but for last 3/4 days she has vomited 2/3 times apart from today and today she has vomited 3 times. This happens after we had a short trip to Kanyakumari (where the climate is hot and she does less urination as she used to do) and returned on 4th Nov from there. After we are back in Bangalore, she is very reluctant to eat her regular diet. it seems she has a stomach upset. When she vomited first time (2/3 days back) it was smelling badly. Today again she vomited even some time after taking food. When we talk to our Pediatrician over phone he advice not to give any medicine first, but when we insist, he asked to give her Onden. Is it fine to give the medicine without physically consulting the doctor? Is it require to consult the doctor immediately? After from medicine can we give any natural drink/food to control vomiting?
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 29 hours later
Brief Answer: you can give Ondem as advised by the doctor. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. It seems the child developed stomach upset because of some contamination during travelling. Ondem is a safe anti emetic drug and you can give ondem as per the advice of your Pediatrician. It will control the vomitings so that oral fluids can be retained by the child. You can start giving oral fluids and food after half an hour of administration of Ondem. You can try cold milk which will decrease vomiting sensation. And give sips of oral rehydration solutions such as Pedialyte to maintain the hydration of the child. Monitor child hydration by activity, skin turgor, and tongue moisture. And consult the Pediatrician for physical examination to assess hydration status and to prescribe specific medication. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.