Child having viral meningitis. Taking Rocephine. Low grade fever persists. Due to medication?

Does rocephin cause low grade fever

My child is getting treatment for viral meningitis with rocephine. 8 days into the treatment he still has low grade fever. He normally has this at fixed times. One in the night at 01:30 or 02:30 and on in the evening at around 17:30 or 18:00. He is getting to injections of 5ml each on in the morning @10 and the other in the night @10 as well

Please explain
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 24 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Rocephin contains an antibiotic called ceftriaxone. It is known to cause a feeling of warmth, fever or chills but kindly do not worry as only rocephin only cannot be blamed for it as it could also be due to the fact that meningitis has not yet resolved. I would suggest that you take the following measures:

1. Just give him the medicine as directed for the prescribed duration and do not worry about the side effects.

2. Take him for regular follow up and feed him healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Let him get adequate rest and take plenty of fluids.

3. Monitor his temperature thrice daily at fixed time, that is every 8 hours. Take him immediately to his doctor if the temperature rises beyond 100 degrees.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries if any.

Good Luck.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: Child having viral meningitis. Taking Rocephine. Low grade fever persists. Due to medication? 6 hours later
They did a crp today and the result is 6. Which according to the doctor the infection has died out. Please comment on this it's quite valuable for me.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 22 hours later

Thank you for writing back to me.

Normally the CRP (C-Reactive Protein) is absent in the blood which is usually done to check for inflammation in the body. The values vary from lab to lab and generally it is taken between 0-1.0 mg/dL or less than 10 mg/L.

You may want to get a Opinion from your Doctor, so that he/she may examine your kid and see for any signs of meningitis. Kindly do not worry, as I said earlier, the rise in temperature may be due to Rocephin. The symptoms will subside gradually.

Just take him for regular follow up, see to it that he sticks to his treatment plan. Follow the advice which I have given earlier.

Hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.