Child having viral fever. Can I give Zifi-100 along with Meftal P?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
Is it okay to give Zifi-100 along with Meftal P. This is for my son who is having viral fever and is 6 yaers old
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 10 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

You can give Zifi-100 in prescribed dosage along with Meftal-P.

Zifi is an antibiotic and it contains cefixime and it has no significant drug interactions with Meftal-P.

But what I advise is to give this antibiotic in the prescribed dose and for prescribed duration.

And if the fever is not responding to this medication I advise you to consult the pediatrician again for reexamination.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child having viral fever. Can I give Zifi-100 along with Meftal P? 1 hour later
Is Taxim-O equivalent to ZIFI..

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 6 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,

Thank you for getting back.

Yes Taxim-O is equivalent to Zifi and the both contain cefixime.

Wish your child a speedy recovery.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please feel free to get back.

Regards.

Hi, Thanks for the quick response. One more question,

Normally after how many dosage will an antibioitic (for instance taxim-o) typically start showing results. I am currently giving 5 ml/twice a day as per my doctors suggestion.

Also is Taxim-o for any specific type of Viral infection?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 12 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,

Thank you for getting back and your kind appreciation.

Usually clinical response to an antibiotic is seen in 3 to 5 days, but usually depends on the type of infection and an individual response. Follow up with the doctor is advised to assess the improvement in child symptoms.

Taxim-O (Cefixime) is given empirically in suspected or associated bacterial infections.

Cefixime is commonly given to treat upper respiratory tract infections, ear infections, and urinary tract infections which are caused by the bacteria.

Cefixime doesn't treat viral infections but it is given to treat any coexisting bacterial infection or suspecting any associated bacterial infections which may present with similar complaints.

Regards.