Child having upset stomach and pain in anus. Looking for cause and solution

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Hi, My daughter is three and half years old, her stomach is upset for the past two days, and today she is complaining that she has anus pain. She had normal food yesterday. But she played in sand and took chocolates for the past two days. Could anyone able to provide me with a solution. Regards XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 30 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. K. C. Pant 5 hours later

Your daughter needs deworming - as hookworm , thread worm infestation is very common at this age as children play in sand and eat too many chocolates etc with out washing hands. These parasites usually cause discomfort in stomach and itching around the anus.
You must make sure that your child washes her hands before eating .And avoid excessive sweet. Regarding deworming, she would need albendazole. Since this is a prescription drug, I would suggest that you see your local physician for that.
Around the anus, you may apply some anti fungal cream locally.
If she has more gases, give enzyme syrup 5 ml (1 tsp) after lunch and dinner. Give her a balanced diet and she should be fine.
I am sure these steps are going to help you.