Child having tight squeezing in leg. Any cure?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My 8 year old is complaining of a tight squeezing feeling in her left leg.
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query .
Your child could me most probably suffering from muscle cramps which is most commonly caused by calcium or potassium disturbances or due to overexertion .
However another less likely but significant vascular pathology needs to be ruled out.
I would like to know few details so that I can guide you in the best possible manner .
1. The onset duration and progress of her symptom , sudden or gradual onset?,since when? Wether associated or consequent to any activity or travel ?etc
2. Wether any tests or medications taken ?
3. The weight and nutritional status of your child and any significant past medical history ?

Assuming its the first time she has complained so and there is no other associated significant history the it could most likely be a muscle spasm or strain of the calf muscle which is usually self resolving with adequate rest. Warm water bag or such hot fomentation of the area can improve the blood circulation of the tissues and hasten recovery .If there is any tenderness or swelling of the region or visible skin changes then it best to get it checked by an orthopedist or her pediatrician to confirm the diagnosis and start treatment . Meanwhile let her avoid any vigorous activity and take adequate rest. A light massage won't harm but avoid vigorous rubbing of the muscles.

If there is anything more you would like to say please feel free to ask a follow up query.
In case there are no further queries kindly accept my answer.
Wishing her a speedy recovery .
Follow-up: Child having tight squeezing in leg. Any cure? 4 hours later
Se has complained of this for a few days now. There is no pain just a tight feeling in her entire leg.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Tightness or stiffness in her legs sometimes without pain can be caused due to many reasons. Following are some of them.
1.Inadequate blood supply to the legs can result in tightness.
2.Heavy exercise or back strain or any other physical activity which is not in the routine can trigger pain and tightness in muscles.
3.Improper hydration and electrolytic imbalance are one of the major cause of tightness hence, it is very important to maintain proper fluid intake.
4.Overuse of the leg muscles and fatigue.
5.Improper diet, which lacks in potassium, magnesium, calcium may also cause tightness and pain in legs.
Leg tightness is usually not a serious problem but it may cause her discomfort which can affect her daily routine. Following are some of the simple ways to get relief from muscle tightness.
One of the best way to get relief from leg tightness are leg exercises like hamstring, calf stretches, quadriceps strengthening exercises and other stretching exercises.I would recommend you consult an orthopedist or physiotherapist who can assess her legs and prescribe the most suitable exercise therapy.
Apart from that maintain her hydration , nutritious diet and adequate rest.
In case she complains of worsening of tightness in the form of limitation of movement or development of pain then please consult your doctor promptly .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.