Child having the habit of eating selected food. How can I persuade him to eat healthier?

My 7 year old boy is a picky eater. He ate before yougurt then he stopped eating it. He ate cheese for snack then he stopped eating it. He eats only shredded cheese with pasta. I worry about his calcium level. He drinks milk, but doesnt want to drink it every day. He eats broccoli and not every day at all.
Why does he has the pattern stopping eating some food? Please suggest on how can I persuade eating him.
Thank you
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Parenting
Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Let him feel hunger. Rotate dishes. Weight gain monitoring

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,

Welcome to the XXXXXXX

These habits are quite common with this age group, nothing to worry. Have patience.

Moniter his weight gain according to his age,
If the weight is according to his age then it means he is accepting the required amount of callories.

Many times parents are not satisfied with the childs`s intake, but weight gain is good scientific indicator of sufficient and required amount of food intake by the child.
They should not force for excess intake, other wise he may be fed of your excess feeding habit (nagging), and in reaction they may start saying NO to your all efforts. Thus in turn results will be more negative.

Now some advices;-
Select the callory dense food.
Rotate the menu.
Never force to eat same thing repeatedly,
Encourage him for the outdoor physical activities, so that his body demands more.
Avoid giving any eatable (even single candy) about 2 hours before lunch or dinner, so that he feels the hunger.
Give the example of his peer group.
Target oriented feeds.
Encourage Incentive oriented feeds.
Give examples of TV/cartoon artist. Like "How strong/ smart they are because they eat XXX".

Do not force him the eatbles which he dislikes.

Hope the query is answered.
Please feel free for further clarification.