Child having sores in mouth. What could be done?

Feb 2013

Hi my 3 year old son is still in a lot of pain since sunday night with sores in hos mouth, i have attached a photo of the main sore on the end of his tongue
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like aphthous ulcers.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I went through the picture you attached along with this query.

The sores in his mouth and tongue are mostly due to aphthous ulcers or due to deficiency of vitamins especially B complex vitamins. Another possibility is Hand-Foot-Mouth disease, but here there are blisters present on hands and feet in addition to oral ulcers.

These sores can be treated by supplementing the child with a multivitamin syrup.

And for pain, local application of local anesthetic agent such as choline and benzalkonium chloride especially 5 to 10 minutes before giving food for pain relief.

Therefore I suggest you to consult the pediatrician for clinical examination and to prescribe medication for pain relief and vitamin supplementation.

Give him soft bland diet and plenty of oral fluids. Avoid spicy foods.

And encourage him to eat more vegetables, leafy vegetables, fruits, and whole grains in his regular diet to provide adequate amounts of vitamins.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.